Monday 27 October 2014

World of Cross Stitching magazine and other musings

I must confess to being somewhat underwhelmed by the latest issue of The World of Cross Stitching



However when my sister in law picked it up she instantly fell in love with the Gorjuss design and has put out loads of hints about me stitching it for her.   She did try cross stitching a couple of years ago but we don't live close and she picked something totally unsuitable for a beginner and so she got disheartened and has decided it isn't for her.

I do like the Gorjuss design so perhaps in the new year I may add it to my WiPs.


I've even got a suitable piece of very pale blue/grey evenweave which would be ideal so it could happen.

My Smalls finish for the SAL is French Country Witch by JBW Designs


I stitched it on a piece of hand dyed opalescent from a grab bag from Polstitches Designs using Nevermore which is a hand dyed thread by Jodyri Designs. You can't really see the variegation in either the fabric or thread in the photo which is a shame.

I loved stitching this but haven't managed to finish it, in spite of having a suitable piece of Halloween style fabric.  I haven't had the sewing  machine out for ages.

Also on the Halloween theme I am stitching Beware by Shepherd's Bush


I am delighted that this will be entirely stitched from stash.  I've had the chart for a while, the fabric is 20 count lurex evenweave which I tea dyed and the #5 perle threads are all from stash.  I don't have a complete set of #5 perle but do have a lot of bits left over from SB stockings I have stitched so I subbed a couple of the colours.    I haven't decided which button from my stash I will use instead of the one called for.

Having just about decided that I would be stitching Shimmering Mermaid for Mira2015 SAL organised by MrsMilkyBarKid I have totally fallen in love with the latest Mirabilia design and may be tempted by this one instead

I've printed off the supplies list so will check whether I have the required Waterlillies and beads (I know I have the DMC)   It doesn't call for lots of MillHill Treasures which can really add to the cost. And I think that the design is so detailed that the fabric doesn't need to be anything too distracting so I will probably have something suitable in my stash .........

2 comments:

  1. This Mirabilia design looks fabulous and your French Country Witch is perfect for the fabric you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I have just realised that you stitched the SB piece in only four days! Well done you! It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete