Monday 16 March 2015

Gifted Gorgeousness SAL March 2015



The Gifted Gorgeousness SAL is organised by Jo of Serendipitous Stitching

I feel like I don't have a lot to report because most of my limited stitching time is absorbed by the various SALs I am stitching, 2 of which are in monthly installments and one of which is a large project which I know will take a long time to complete.

Apologies to anyone reading this who has read some of my previous posts where I have featured some of these photos before.

Christmas Village by The Prairie Schooler was gifted to me by a friend having a clear out of some of her cross stitch stash.  I didn't finish it for this Christmas but it is now back from the framers and ready for display this December.



As part of my gifts for my Mum for Mother's Day I finished this lavender sachet which was a kit by Itching to Stitch - you can read more about this new designer here in my post for DESIGN



Everything was included in the kit - linen, threads, lavender, Liberty style backing, needle and ribbon for hanging.  All I added was some wadding as I decided I want it look padded rather than flat.

I can see me stitching more of these as the kit includes a complete alphabet and there were plenty of left over threads.

The next project is one I finished stitching years ago.

Some years ago I was made redundant twice in 2 years.  Quite scary when you are the sole breadwinner.  Both times I had to wait to start the new job after it had been offered to me so I was in the situation of having far more time than I was used to but very little spare money.  As any committed stitcher would do in that situation I used the time to good effect by stitching from my stash including some of the bigger projects which really benefited from that extra time.  I got through quite a lot using some of the pieces as presents but what I didn't have was the cash to pay for framing.  I did frame some smaller pieces myself and also finished others as bellpulls and cushions but for big pieces I believe a professional framer makes all the difference.

So knowing that I have finished but unframed pieces languishing in a drawer one of my birthday presents was some cash to frame a couple of favourites.   This first piece counts as part of Gifted Gorgeousness because not only was the framing paid for but so were the embellishments which I had not been able to afford when I stitched the piece.



Lily of the Woods, The Caring Fairy by Mirabilia



I'm also going to include Blackbird by Blackbird Designs as the fabric was given to me - it's Permin linen in a lovely sandstone colour which is yellower than it shows in the photograph





I finished the Little Ballet Dancer as a simple cushion which has now been given away



And last but by no means least I can show you a piece I stitched during the course of last year and had framed this year.   It was a birthday gift for a dear friend with a significant birthday this month and I wanted it to be a surprise so couldn't share any progress photos where she might see them.


Sweet Pea Fairy by Nora Corbett

I chose the colours knowing what she likes and I am very pleased with the way it has turned out.  I've stitched a couple of other designs in this range and really like the way they stitch up, plus they aren't as big as the standard Mirabilia designs so don't take as long.

Sorry I'm a day late posting this but 15th was Mother's Day in the UK and I was busy in a very pleasant way.

10 comments:

  1. Christmas Village is beautiful. I am such a PS fan!
    Such a lovely sachet for your mother.
    I am so very impressed with your Mirabilia and Nora Corbett pieces…Gorgeous. I am sure that you were happy to finally frame them. Your friend is SO lucky to be receiving one as a birthday gift; how generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had seen most of your projects in other posts already, but not the two Mirabilia/Nora Corbett ones, and those are really impressive and pretty :) The framing looks awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. So much wonderful gorgeousness too!
    I quite agree about the larger Miras benefitting from professional framing. I get vouchers for Christmas for that purpose.
    Lilly of the Woods looks amazing, I have partially stitched her for a RR I took part in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps I'd love to see a round up post of all the Miras and Nora's you have stitched, as I've completed Sleeping Beauty too.

      Delete
    2. I might do that "one day". I don't actually have photos of all of them as some of them have been given as gifts and worse still some of them in are in drawer - finished but not framed. Sleeping Beauty is probably my favourite of the ones I have stitched although it's a bit like choosing a favourite child as I love them all. Would love to see your Sleeping Beauty

      Delete
  4. Lots of pretty stitching. Love the lavender sachet, beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fairies look lovely. And what a wonderful present for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is such alot of Gifted Gorgeousness this time. You made a lovely lavender sachet for your mother. And all these Mirabilias a re so beautiful. What a treat to have them framed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hazel, such wonderful pieces - such a great Gifted Gorgeousness post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pieces for the GG post :o)
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete